About the position
The Division of Comparative Medicine and Laboratory Animal Facilities (CMLAF) at the State University of New York at Buffalo is seeking applicants for the position of Animal Facility Manager. CMLAF supports multi-disciplinary biomedical research in ~150,000 sf of AAALAC accredited facilities, at 7 locations, on three campuses, and houses a wide variety of species both large/farm animal and small. The program includes Barrier/SPF rodent units as well as both ABSL-2 and 3 facilities. The Animal Facility Manager will report to the Director and supervise 20 animal care staff and a building tradesman. The CMLAF is supported by three Veterinarians, and 5 veterinary technicians.
The Animal Facility Manager will be responsible for overseeing the operation, husbandry, sanitation, and building/equipment maintenance for the entire facility. Duties will include:
• Development and implementation of policies, provision of training, record development and maintenance
• Organization of work schedules, coordination of repairs/renovations, and assurance of compliance with all regulatory agencies.
• The qualified candidate will have a thorough knowledge of all regulations (USDA-AWA, The Guide, PHS, OSHA, CDC, and Medical Waste Tracking Act etc.), bio-containment and barrier practices, rodent breeding programs, and sanitation practices.
Minimum Qualifications (Position)
• Bachelor’s degree in animal or biological science.
• Current AALAS CMAR certification or willingness to complete CMAR post hire.
• AALAS (CALAS) certification at LATG level.
• Minimum of 3 years of lab animal experience in a supervisory/management role.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, good oral and written communication skills, proficiency in computer programs (WORD, PowerPoint, email),
• Experience with animal facility management software.
• Ability to drive to outlying locations, and ability to respond to after-hour emergency calls.
• Strong organizational skills, a team focused approach, and strong customer service skills are a must.
• Preferred Qualifications
• Advanced degrees in veterinary science (AHT) are desirable.
Salary Range $75,000 – $90,000
SUNY at Buffalo
How to Apply: