About the position
Manager, Animal Resources Program
Department: Dean of the Faculty Office
Duration of Position: Full year / Full time
Position Summary and Responsibilities
This position will provide leadership and oversight in developing and directing an effective, efficient, innovative, and compliant animal care program that responds to and meets Vassar's diverse and dynamic research and teaching priorities. This position requires a broad and contemporary knowledge base in animal-based research methodology and applications for both traditional and non-model systems, industry-specific equipment and technology, specialized animal care requirements, and regulatory requirements. The Manager, who reports to the Associate Dean of the Faculty, is responsible for the training, oversight and evaluation of work performance of the animal care staff that perform daily care and housing of multiple species.
• B.S. degree in a life science discipline, Animal Science or related field required, with a minimum of 5 years of experience in laboratory animal research. LATG certification is a minimum level of expertise, with CMAR certification preferred.
• Prior supervisory and management experience essential, minimum of 4 years preferable. Prior leadership experience is preferred.
• Knowledgeable of regulatory issues in animal care and use, as described above, essential.
• Experience with managing a sizable budget essential.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to develop important relationships with researchers.
• Prior experience with genetically engineered mouse models. Understand basic genetics. Familiarity with different breeding paradigms for rats, mice, birds and crickets.
• Skilled in animal handling and veterinary health assessments of vertebrate animals. Skilled in basic surgery techniques a plus. Basic animal dosing and necropsy skills.
How to Apply:
All applicants must apply online at: https://apptrkr.com/2162949.