About the position
The Office of Animal Resources (OAR) at the University of Colorado Boulder is hiring for a Research Services Operations Manager. OAR provides high-quality animal care, veterinary care, and support for the research and teaching missions of the University of Colorado, Boulder. Under the direction of the Director of OAR, the Operations Manager is responsible for oversight and management of animal husbandry and facility operations across eight decentralized vivaria totaling over 25,000 sq ft with an average daily census of 4,000 rodent cages. This position collaborates with OAR leadership, faculty, the Environmental Health and Safety department (EH&S), and the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) to maintain a safe working environment compliant with all legal mandates, animal welfare regulations and guidelines, and accreditation standards.
• Monitor the quality of animal care, facility operations, and service, ensure all aspects meet the standards set by OAR, the University of Colorado Boulder and regulatory and accrediting agencies.
• Work closely with EH&S to ensure the safety of OAR and investigative staff within the vivaria.
• Mentor and supervise three OAR facility managers, with indirect supervision of animal husbandry staff.
• Oversee personnel management including hiring, termination, disciplinary action, promotion, and performance review.
• Oversee training and proficiency of care staff in husbandry and operational duties.
• Ensure accurate and comprehensive Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) development and review.
• Ensure animal care and investigative staff are up to date and compliant with the most recent departmental policies and procedures as outlined in SOPs.
• Support and encourage staff professional development to include American Association for Laboratory Animal Sciences (AALAS) certification.
• Maintain facility infrastructure in accordance with guidelines and regulations.
• Ensure appropriate functioning of facility equipment.
• Work effectively with vendors, contractors, and CU Boulder Facilities Management staff to ensure timely preventative maintenance evaluation and repair of equipment and mechanical systems.
• Participate in programmatic activities such as IACUC semiannual inspections, disaster planning management, compliance with HR policies, and development of the AAALAC program description.
University of Colorado Boulder, Office of Animal Resources
How to Apply:
The quicklink to apply for this posting is:
Applicants can also access the CU Boulder Jobs site at https://www.colorado.edu/jobs/ and search for posting 21282
Please apply by 10/1/2019 for consideration.
Note: Application materials will not be accepted via email. For consideration, applications must be submitted through CU Boulder Jobs.